Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Montana de Oro Shark Attack

It was a beautiful Sunday morning, the sun was shining and the surf was firing. Three days after Christmas morning, at 11:40am perfect for  a fun surf session at Montana de Oro for the victim who has been identified as Kevin Swanson. What this surfer didn't know was that he was about to receive a painful and violent, late Christmas present.

Kevin Swanson, a man in his late 50's was surfing with one other of his friends at Sand Spit beach when suddenly  an 8- to -10 foot long juvenile Great White shark launched from the depths. The shark had dragged Swanson off his surfboard and into the water. As frightening this might be for many people the 50 year old man remained calm. After surfacing Swanson screamed "Shark!" and tied his leash from his board around his leg to stop serious bleeding for a period of time. The man paddled his way to shore, when there two doctors who happened to be walking along the beach at the time, gave him firs aid until a medical team responded and transferred to Seira Vista for further treatment.

The victim, who lives in the San Luis Obispo, was bitten on his right hip. These shark bite injuries inflicted were not considered life threatening mainly because as the doctor said that his arteries were not affected by the attack. According to to San Luis Obispo Tribune, after Swanson underwent a hip surgery he was released from the hospital on Monday.

According to San Luis Obispo Tribune, Andrew Walsh, who was surfing beside Swanson during the attack, said "It was really radical."  The tribune also added: "I was about 10 feet from him, and it was absolutely quiet... The shark came straight out of the depths and quickly dragged him him into the water. That was the amazing part: this giant side of the shark just curving up out of the water."

As of the day of the attack, without regard to the beach being open to the genera public, signs were posted along the beach to warn people that they are entering the waters at their own risk and of the latest shark attack. These signs were only to remain posted for the next 3 days.

It is said that Kevin Swanson should be able to be back on the water soon according to a doctor at the Sierra Vista hospital which he was flown into by helicopter.

For Kevin Swanson it must have been an alarming and one-of-a-kind experience.

1 comment: